Wednesday, October 5, 2022

How to Winter a Vine

 A Black Eyed Susan vine came in the mail today, and I put her directly into quarantine. She is beautiful, still flowering!


I now have three vines and am struggling with how to winter them. None of them are normally houseplants, so the next six months will probably be an experiment. I´ll review what I´ve learned so far.

Glory Lily -- For better or worse, I´ve decided to leave her in the window and modify Planta´s instructions a bit. In general,  we´ll reduce watering and stop fertilizing, leave her on the windowsill which will probably be at 74 during the day and in the 30s at night, sigh, but on January 1 we´ll put her into the fridge for two months of 50 degree darkness. In March she can go back on the windowsill with a trellis, and we´ll watch her grow and bloom (hopefully!!!). I´m trying this method because I read somewhere that she will not bloom if she doesn´t do dormancy properly.

Mandevilla Vine -- Planta provides the same instructions for Mandevilla as for Glory, but I´m going to just leave her in the windowsill all winter.

Blackeyes Susan -- I actually got an expert opinion on her from the Universilty of Wisconsin Horticulture, Division of Extension. They said she´ll bloom over the winter if kept in a sunny place with night temps at about 60 degrees. So we´ll try just leaving her on the windowsill all winter also. 

For both Mandevilla and Blackeyed Susan I may have to install a window curtain to pull at night because as I recall from last winter, the windowsill hit 30 degrees overnight. Or it might even  be easier to just move them every night to a warmer location. Trellis and all? What an adventure weĺl have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to ¨Winter¨ Houseplants

Somewhere I heard that there are no mistakes in gardening, only experiments from which you learn something. This fall and winter will be an ...