Thursday, October 6, 2022

Raising Humidity

 I have hygrometers all over the place, so I can observe that the humidity in my aparment has been falling down to about 50 nowadays. Autumn is here. Time to bring out the humidifiers. Last winter I used four and a small fountain. This year I´m contemplating a tall fountain--this one:


Itś a 43¨ tall Litton Lane Gold Metal Rustic Indoor and Outdoor Fountain for $175.57. Last year´s little Zen fountain was just not worth the trouble for the amount of water it put into the air. I still have her though and might just put her back to work.

Since every little bit of water will help, I´m also going to keep pebble trays. Sure one individual pebble tray won´t effect the humidity of the plant it sits on, but it will do it´s part to add to the overall room humidity. If a bowl of water will help, a pebble tray will help (and look more attractive!). 

My feelings about pebble trays are mixed. If you keep the water up to the top, you risk over-watering your plant. I like to feel the pebbles; I want them damp but not wet. Another problem with pebble trays is that the pebbles turns nasty. Every once in awhile I have to litterally wash the them. Ick.

Fountains also require care. It´s that darn water that gets icky and plugs up the plumbing. Even with bleach or something added, it is inevitable that the pipes will need to periodically be cleaned out. However, it´s easily done. It´s sad to read all those fountain reviews that say ¨it stopped working after six months.¨

I no longer bother to spray or spritz or mist the plants. Everything I´ve read admits that unless you do it every 10 minutes, you´re not affecting the plant´s humidity.  Easier to put out a bowl of water! 

Last winter I tried putting out pretty jars of colored water. They were pretty, and the water did evaporate, so they were working. However, again there was that icky water, hummm.

Last winter I also tried boiling water on the stove. Very labor intensive; it´s amazing how fast it goes down. However, it does work.



No comments:

Post a Comment

How to ¨Winter¨ Houseplants

Somewhere I heard that there are no mistakes in gardening, only experiments from which you learn something. This fall and winter will be an ...