Saturday, October 8, 2022

Three New Plants--hydroponic, bonsai, Janet Craig

 I went to Home Depot hoping to get some distilled water for the fountain I ordered--MIStake! Every time I go there I buy more plants. Today I bought three and should have bought the fourth.

First was the bonsai. Every time I´ve seen one there I say thety´re too expensive but beautiful. Now, after buying so many plants on-line, I KNOW that Home Depot is not expensive. So I bought a lovely ficus. Planta says she´s prone to all the bugs and pests, tsk, tsk, so I quarantined her on the living room floor, well away from every thing.



Second, was a plant on my list--Dracaena Janet Craig, which is a corn plant I think, and it will end up looking like the corn plant I bought in Idaho and not like that spiral that I hated and gave away. Janet looks very healthy, but I quarantined her on the bedroom floor, well away from everybody else.

Last, I probably shouldn´t have spent the $20 on because she, an Autograph Tree, wasn´t on my list (full sun and low light plants), but she was hydroponic and kind of interesting looking, so I bought her.

What I SHOULD HAVE bought, and might go back tomorrow for, was a ten inch (!!!) ficus like the one I tossed accidentally two months ago for $10. What a good deal!

I was SUPPOSED to do today was set up the humidifiers, but--even though it was 45 degrees outside--it was over 80 inside. So I opened one window in the living room, propped open the front door (which is across the room from the windows), and set up the exhaust fan in the bedroom window. Several hours later, the kitchen, where I´m trying to proof some bread, is down to 74, but the rest of the living room is still high. I will now shut the front door and see if that helps. It didn´t. Temperature rose rapidly. So I don´t think the exhaust fan does any good. I took it off, so hopefully the bedroom temp will fall now. By the way, now--at noon--outside temp is still 50 degrees. Only God knows how bad it will be when they turn the heat on in the building.

I was on a roll, so I added a Flaming Katy to my hydroponics list. This is supposedly a nono, so weĺl expect her to die. To compensate, I potted a couple more Flaming Katies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to ¨Winter¨ Houseplants

Somewhere I heard that there are no mistakes in gardening, only experiments from which you learn something. This fall and winter will be an ...